My two main reasons for wanting this upgrade was to have the ability to set a maximum ISO when I select automatic ISO.
The other item that had me intrigued was the increase in burst rate. It of course varies in what you are shooting, JPEG vs RAW. From a quick test I found I can now take 27 shots within 6 seconds before it stops shooting to process. It seems excessive but in some cases, like an eagle swooping in to snag a duck it would be awful for the camera to stop shooting just as the catch is made.
So, here is the link for the firmware: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/eos_digital_slr_cameras/eos_7d#DriversAndSoftware
- From this web page select your Operating System and Operating Version from the drop downs.
- This will open more selections below these boxes where you will want to click on EOS 7D Firmware Version 2.0.0
- After clicking on the 'I Agree-Begin Download' to the usual Disclaimer the download begins to load to your computer.
- After the quick download you will have the folders open on your computer which will have a .PDF with instructions and a .FIR file.
- Don't try to open the .FIR (my first mistake when trying to do this upgrade). Put a formatted Compact Flash card in your computer. Then simply drag/copy this .FIR file to the card. I used a 4gig.
- Wait for the file to be completely loaded onto the card. With a full charged battery in your 7D put the card into the camera.
- From your Menu screen navigate to the last tool that looks like a wrench. The last item on that screen is the current Firmware version.
- Click on that and it will say 'Current Version is _ _ _ _ _ . Update. Click on the OK button.
- It will walk you through the next steps....sorry I didn't write them down but like any camera/computer it will hold your hand and walk you gently through the next 2 or 3 steps. The last step the camera will tell you to not touch anything while it loads. It will show you a percentage screen and it does not take too long.
- VOILA, you will now be upgraded. Scroll through your new options on the menu screens & have fun. I am waiting for the next upgrade which will make it a full sensor. LOL